Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Eight Months On

Progress

Andy has increased control of his torso and is now able to sit on the edge of the bed for 11 minutes. When Andy first started hydrotherapy, the therapist needed to hold his head above the water. Over the sessions Andy has needed less support and now only needs support from his hips and below.


 Andy continues to use the standing frame to assist in standing and continues to be hoisted using an overhead hoist, needing two people. Please pray into this.

Andy is very dependent on others for all of his needs. Please pray that Andy will be able to reposition himself in bed and give himself a drink.

Andy's speech continues to improve.He is still on a mashable diet and needs thickened fluids because of his involuntary swallow and inability to control his tongue, however this is improving.

It was our anniversary last Wednesday and we went to the cinema to watch Spiderman. This was lovely to be able to do something normal and we both really enjoyed this. On Saturday Andy coped with going to Lewis' wedding as well as the reception in Bristol. With the long journey and the wedding, Andy was in his chair for 11 hours and so he coped amazingly!

Please pray for increased movement in Andy's hands, arms, shoulders and legs. 

We thank God that Andy's hydrotherapist commented that she couldn't believe the difference in Andy from when she saw him on the Saturday and then again on the Thursday. She said that she felt he had turned a corner and that they were doing new things in the session that she didn't feel could have been done in the session before. Andy was prayed for at the Renewal Tuesday meeting that week and so we can definitely see prayers being answered here.

We are still waiting on a decision from the PCT regarding funding for when he comes home. Please pray that this is successful.


I am personally aware of the suffering of many others who are recovering from brain injury including Santino and Mifta who I have mentioned in previous posts. Please pray for these young men. Mifta is due to have his trache out after 11 months of being dependent on this. Please pray that this goes smoothly.

God continues to sustain us. We are very much in the valley at the moment but our comfort is that we need not fear because God is with us. He is our shepherd. I pray that I am able to show HIS love to those around us who are suffering as well. Sometimes people just need to know that God still cares and for this we are His hands and feet.




5 comments:

  1. I I want to try and give you some hope. My story is very like Andy, back in Steperber 2011 at 21 I had a stock causing me to be locked in. Only able to move my eyes. For 8 weeks I stayed like that before I started moving. 10 months on have full movement in my left side can eat and drink must things not everything. My family read a book by Kate Allatt Running free and it really helped them to know what I was going through. If you want to talk more about what I've been though you can get me though my Facebook page Leah Batchelor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Your progress is incredible and I find it so encouraging. I am just about to go to your facebook page. It would be lovely to keep in touch.
      God bless, Emma xxx

      Delete
    2. Just seen your facebook page. it is great to know you are also a Christian. God is moving mightily. This has really encouraged me and I will show it to Andy. As you can probably tell from our blog we are also Christians xxx

      Delete
  2. Your story is amazing and I love reading these knowing there is always hope. Like you I'm doing a blog on my dad, I'm 18 he is 52. He suffered a stroke and a bleed on the brain on the 1st December 2011 he went into a coma. After coming out of his coma after 13 days they told us he had locked-in syndrome. He has been making progress (not quite as up to speed as yours though) from day one with movement of the head, smiles and a lot of mouth movement however he's not ready to eat or drink, he took his first 4 teaspoons of drink only 3 weeks ago. I'd just like to say your blog is giving me and my family hope that he will keep on improving!

    Best wishes to you and your family! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberley

      Thank you for sharing about your dad. It is encouraging that he has had some fluid. I will try to find your blog and it would be great if we could keep in touch.

      Delete